Monday, May 7, 2012

Today is a Sacred Day (poem)


Today is a Sacred Day
and I don’t know why.
Today is a Sacred Day
and I don’t know why.
I will not follow you
as you go to work,
bored to death
So looking forward to lunch,
glancing at the clock for the day to end.
Nor will I follow you to school
so sleepy in your stupor
of boredom to tears
that you eat your lunch at recess
stealing away any chance you get
to eat snacks in the restroom
while others obey in quiet madness.
I will not go with you to bars
while you drown out the time
distracting your wakefulness
with inebriating substances.
Did you forget that today is a Sacred Day?
But, I don’t know why.
I just know you forgot this.
You forgot the word “sacred”
as you crammed “normal” down your throats
and succumbed to another day of monotony,
planning a weekend of distraction,
but when you get there,
there is little left to celebrate.
You forgot that today is Sacred
So, I will not follow you
as you obey the world around you
as you conform to its rules and regulations
as you clock in and out
as you say “yes” to others’ demands
and forget you stand on sacred ground.
No, I will not follow you.
Today is a Sacred Day,
But I don’t know why.
I just know I will not follow you
As you try to strip away dignity and individual guidance.
I hear another call
and it is not your bells nor alarms
waking you to another day
that looks too much like the next.
You train your children
to be dead in their hearts,
But, I will not stop to watch you.
Today is a Sacred Day
And I will listen to my own guidance
Showing me a Sacred Way. 

Lara De Ann is a poet and healer.  Check out her book  Piece of Planet or Planet of Peace: A Journey Through Letting Go Told in Prose and Poetry found on her website www.EmpireOfTheSunspirit.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment